King Tractor on Films & Comic Books

A small comic book publisher daily struggles.

Friday, September 30, 2005

San Diego Comic Con pt 4 - Famous Faces Get Smashed

So as not to disappoint, I'll try and throw in some more pictures of fame and fortune that I discovered on my journey through the thing call the San Diego International Comic Convention.


Here we have Geof Darrow (Shaolin Cowboy & Matrix comics) signing a poster with Mike Mignola (Hellboy) looking over his shoulder.

The guy behind Mike is flashing gang signs. This gang activity as well as Mike breathing down his neck made Geof really, really nervous. He ended up signing the poster "Agent Smith" by accident. I think it's understandable, we'd all get nervous when our life is on the line.











Below is a picture of Richard Hatch who played Starbuck on the original Battlestar Galactica. He still looks pretty young and it's surprising that I haven't seen him on the new series.

Why didn't they at least give the actors from the original guest star roles? I like the new series but think someone is being a jerk about that. As I've been around La La land for a while, I realize that there is a disconnect between the fans and those who make series like that. A big reason the remakes almost always die a horrible death. Since I'm not on that production I don't have any inside information, but I'd bet that someone feels they know better than the fans. Just look for a little man who will turn around any time someone yells "Napoleon"!

Above I got a quick shot of Ray Harryhausen as he was rushed to an event. I had previously met him when he was on a panel in 1998 with Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, and moderated by Harry Knowles. Who in the world was Harry Knowles?!?

After the panel in 1998 I got a chance to speak to Ray, Harlan, and Harry which was wonderful. Plus I got the chance to completely ignore Mr. Knowles. That was wonderful too.

This is David Franklin (left) and Lani John Tupu (right) from Farscape. A great show, but it's been recently canceled so DVD is the best way to catch it.

And last (for now) but not least is Herb Jefferson Jr. (on the left - Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf, Knight Rider, much more) and Bobby Clark who was the stuntman who played The Gorn in the original Star Trek. Mr. Clark has been in a bunch of other shows as well...but to most of us he'll always be Gorn. Neither of these guys are hugely famous, but they've been around a lot of the big names. So if you're nice to them they'll tell you great stories about all the drugs and sex that they saw. Like the time Shatner and Nimoy were going through their "experimental" phase. [Edited out the nasty bits because I was told "What happens in space, stays in space." Sorry.]

GORN!

And that's not quite all that I have, but I really do have to go back to writing. I'll try and finish up my late con report tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home