King Tractor on Films & Comic Books

A small comic book publisher daily struggles.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Weekend Players Club, otherwise known as the Coffee Klatch.

The weekend is usually my time to work. Sounds strange, but I get most of my writing done over the weekend. Lately I arrive at the coffee shop right after it opens and leave around lunch time. Every weekend without fail. Last year I didn't have a day job so I was at the coffee shop by 10am and left usually around 12pm, sometimes as late as 2am. It sounds crazy, but that Starbucks at Fair Oaks and the 110 Freeway in South Pasadena has become my second home and sometime inspiration. I know the homeless men by name and consider many of the fellow coffee klatchers my friends.

I have seen more accidents in that parking lot than I care to count. I just missed seeing Phil Spector get mad and threaten the regulars sitting outside on the porch. He said he was going to come back and blow their heads in with his gun. He didn't. But I can't image he won any friends since he's on trial for murder.

Lots of the regulars are quite famous. Some film directors, religious guru's/leaders, many actors, politicians, designers, students, artists, writers of all sorts, musicians, and I know of at least famous clothing designer. It's strange how we all become regular people over coffee. But we all sit around sharing new work, telling stories, and drinking coffee. A few of us tote along our laptops and work while we chat. Somehow I think we all long for that small town comradery.

If you're ever in the neighborhood stop by for a latte and say "Hi" to the regulars sitting out front. You'll never know who you might meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home