King Tractor on Films & Comic Books

A small comic book publisher daily struggles.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Jeff Wilcox, A Long Time Friend


Today I was thinking about old friends. Recently I'd gotten back in touch with Steve White, (childhood friend and fellow writer) so today I thought I'd make an effort to contact some others. Using the fantastic Google search I discovered that unbeknownst to me, I'd lost one of my oldest and dearest friends, Jeff Wilcox.

Jeff and I have been friends since meeting in Elementary School and all through Boy Scouts and then into High School. I moved away but we'd kept in touch via email. But things happen and I hadn't heard from him for a few years. I am sorry I didn't get the urge to check up on him sooner. Jeff was a great friend who shared years of jumping creeks with our bikes, firecrackers, and campfires with me. He will be missed.

I got this from The Jackson County Examiner...

"Jeffrey K. 'Jeff' Wilcox
Jeffrey Kendall "Jeff" Wilcox, 35, died Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2005, at his boyhood home after a valiant two-year battle with brain cancer. During his journey, he showed us what true strength and courage look like.

Jeff was born December 18, 1969, in Hollywood, Calif., and grew up in California, North Carolina and Blue Springs, Mo. He attended Franklin Smith Elementary School and Blue Springs High School, where he was Senior Class President in 1988. He was a member of the National Honor Society, the tennis and wrestling teams, and was an Eagle Scout. He attended Central Methodist College in Fayette, Mo., where he graduated in 1992 with a chemistry major, and was a member of the Alpha Phi Gamma fraternity. He spent his senior year studying in France in Aix-en-Provence. After graduation, he received a Rotary Scholarship to attend the University of Sydney in Australia, where he obtained a master's degree in environmental engineering.
In 1998, he married Stephanie Russell of St. Louis, Mo., and they settled in California, living in Los Angeles, Palo Alto and San Francisco over the last seven years. There, he enjoyed beach volleyball, tennis, surfing, cycling, jogging and extensive traveling. They visited Australia, France, Spain, China, Japan, Bali, Fiji, Guam, Mexico and Hawaii in recent years. They attended Cornerstone Christian Church in San Francisco, where Jeff volunteered with summer Bible school.

Jeff was employed in his family's business, Ken Wilcox Associates Inc., conducting environmental testing. He was internationally recognized, having been involved in projects in Europe, South America and Australia. He presented papers at seminars for state and local regulators on leak detection testing and validation, and wrote technical articles for Petroleum Science and Technology. He formed his own company, MyTankGauge Technologies, LLC, in 2001, developing a novel Internet-based method for fuel monitoring. Jeff was thrilled when MyTankGauge was mentioned in his favorite publication, Wired Magazine. He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Kenneth and Elizabeth Miller.
He is survived by his two sons, Skylar Wilcox, 23 months, and Asher Wilcox, 2 months; his wife, Stephanie Russell; his brother, Craig Wilcox and wife, Precious; his parents, Ken and Kathy Wilcox; his grandparents, Harold and Eleanor Wilcox; as well as a host of aunts, uncles and cousins.

Jeff was a man who never met anyone he didn't like. He was outgoing and popular with many friends and maintained friendships with many people around the world. He participated in the 2005 Relay for Life where, in his honor, the team raised more than $20,000 for cancer research. He will be greatly missed by family and friends from all over the world.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at the First United Methodist Church, 301 S.W. Woods Chapel Road, Blue Springs. Burial will follow at Blue Springs Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Webb-Freer Funeral Home, Blue Springs, (816) 229-2101. In lieu of flowers, donations in Jeff's honor may be made to the Jeff Wilcox Memorial Fund for his children's education, in care of the First United Methodist Church, 301 S.W. Woods Chapel Road, Blue Springs, Mo. 64015."

4 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so saddened to learn of Jeff's untimely death. He was a great friend and though I hadn't talked to him in many years, he is one of those friends who you know you would have picked up at right where you both left off...one of those seamless friendships.

    I have so many fond memories of Jeff; I remember he and I and Shawn and a few others would meet down at a local creek and catch crawdads and other critters; one time, Jeff found a baby snapping turtle. That was quite a treat, for we all loved and respected wildlife. Other memories involve theater and creative activities where Jeff and I and another buddy, Brad Hughes, put ridiculous skits together and performed them. Jeff was also great at just goofing off and being a funny, caring friend.

    I am sorry I missed out on several more years of his cherished friendship. Godspeed, Jeff, and thanks for all the smiles. I have a feeling our paths will yet cross again.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for this. I saw a mention of Jeff's death in the CMC alumni magazine and wondered how why etc. All I can say is that it was much too soon. We miss you, Jeff.

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the information on Jeff. I was a fraternity brother and friend at CMC with Jeff and shared many bio classes with him. I was shocked to read of his death in the CMC alumni magaizine and had many questions. Thank you for updating me on his life after college. He was a true gentleman and a unique individual. He made the most out of his limited time here. Thank you again for posting this info.
    Scott

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger MrTractor said…

    I'm glad others found this post. If anyone knows how I might be able to get in touch with Jeff's family I'd be very grateful. As we get older you realize that you don't have too many close friends in your life. Jeff was one of mine so I'd like to send them something. Anyone know if Craig has an email? You can email me here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home